How to Use Vitamin C Serum
Vitamin C is a holy grail skincare product, and the hype surrounding it? Well, that’s because it works. Curious to learn more about what it can do for you? We’re going to go over a few of its most celebrated benefits, as well as must-know information about how to use Vitamin C serum properly.
What Is Vitamin C Serum and Why Should I Use it?
Vitamin C serums are revered among dermatologists and skincare aficionados alike. They contain powerful antioxidants that fight the free radicals that cause aging. Additionally, users love it because vitamin C helps offset UV damage and is known to brighten skin tone and reduce dark spots.
Key Benefits of Vitamin C for Your Skin
Let’s take a closer look at the primary benefits of vitamin c serum.
- Increased collagen production. As we age, our bodies make less collagen, which is what keeps skin elastic and hydrated. Vitamin C encourages its production, making it an essential ingredient in any anti-aging regimen.
- Skin firming. This product firms sagging skin and gives it a more youthful, refreshed appearance.
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles. Plummeting collagen levels lead to fine lines and wrinkles, but regular vitamin C use boosts synthesis and lessens their appearance.
- Minimizes dark spots. Vitamin C contains a property that inhibits melanin production, which helps fades pigmentation and has serious skin brightening effects.
- Sun damage repair. Free radicals from the sun damage the skin, but vitamin C is rich in antioxidants that render them harmless.
How Does Vitamin C Serum Work?
These many benefits mean that vitamin C is a staple ingredient in all kinds of skincare products. It features in our luxurious Restorative Eye Cream, for example, and appears in other products like toners, masks, and moisturizers.
However, a serum like the Advanced Vitamin C serum is the most effective way of delivering the benefits of vitamin C to your face. This product features the active ingredient sodium ascorbyl phosphate, which penetrates the top layer of the skin and delivers the product deep into the dermis.
With regular use, the acidic properties of vitamin C serum have an exfoliating effect that’s excellent for attaining a brighter face. Additionally, vitamin C speeds up cell regeneration, which is responsible for many of the benefits we talked about above.
When Should I Start Using a Vitamin C Serum?
The aging process starts to kick in at around age twenty, which is when most dermatologists recommend beginning a targeted wrinkle-prevention regimen. Some anti-aging ingredients, like alpha hydroxy acids, are better for slightly older skin. But your early 20s is an excellent time to fight the signs of aging with vitamin C.
Vitamin C Serum Safety Profile
Despite being a potent ingredient, vitamin C has an excellent safety profile. Most people can use it for extended periods with no side effects, even those with sensitive skin. You can also use vitamin C in combination with other skincare products, such as SPF, retinol, and AHAs.
How to Apply Vitamin C Serum
Now let’s take a step-by-step look at how to apply vitamin C serum.
- Step 1: Cleanse. Start your routine as you normally do by washing your face with your favorite cleanser.
- Step 2: Apply a hydrating toner, if this is part of your regimen.
- Step 3: Now it’s time to apply vitamin C serum. Avoid rubbing it into your skin, instead making sure to tap it onto your face, neck, and chest.
- Step 4: Apply humectants and moisturizers. That’s right; your moisturizer should come only after applying vitamin C serum.
- Step 5: Follow up with your favorite eye cream.
- Step 6: Complete your regimen with a full-coverage SPF.
Once your sunscreen has dried, you can apply whatever makeup you like. And if you’re worried about remembering these steps, a general rule of thumb is to use products from thinnest to thickest.
One last thing to note for fans of hyaluronic acid: If you’re wondering whether you can use vitamin C serum and hyaluronic acid together, the answer is yes! These two products work in perfect synergy to deliver a fantastic mix of hydrating and antioxidant benefits.
When To Apply Vitamin C Serum
You should use vitamin c products in the morning (every morning!) to take full advantage of their antioxidant properties. Using a serum in combination with a strong SPF gives your skin the protection it needs against free radicals, pollution, and sun damage throughout the day.
However, there’s no rule against using it at night, especially if you are trying to fade dark spots and brighten your skin.
Want to Know More About Pure Vitamin C?
Have any questions we haven’t covered in this article? Leave us a comment, and ask us anything you want to know.